Sunday, October 26, 2008

Surgery Day.
I truly dont want to remember all the things that went on this day, but for blogging reasons and to update and read in the future I'm going to post the story.
My surgery was scheduled for 2:30 to be admitted at the new IMC medical center. Since my surgery was planned less than 24 hours I had to call and register myself for the surgery and call my Doctors office and plan to have fetal monitoring before, during and after surgery.
Usually a nurse calls you to inform you of everything that will happen that day, inform you of the schedule, the times to be released, the basic information that I didnt get until I was actually getting an IV and ready for the surgery.
I recieved many phone calls at around 9:30 from the fetal monitoring building, and the same day surgery center informing me that I could come in early and get blood work done, the monitoring and possibly have the surgery sooner.
Jeff and I headed to the hospital around 11am and began the monitoring of the baby. Everything looked fine other than my amniotic fluid was pretty low. I couldnt eat or drink anything after midnight so that could be a contributor, but I go back in a week to re-test that.
Anyways.. after a long stressful miscommunication from one building to the other, and nobody knowing what was going on since my surgery was basically at a "rush standing" The nurse escorted me down this hall where they took more blood. The first guy missed my vein and that not only irritated me, but the lady after him hit the same spot.. UGH!
I got the lovely hospital gown, pants, and hair net, I was placed on the hospital bed, and told Jeff goodbye. That was basically when I broke down. I was not prepared and I didnt have all my questions answered, and to be left alone made it twice as worse. I'm usually pretty tough, but I couldnt hold it any longer.
The anesthesiologist came in and inserted the IV and I was pushed down the "operating hall" or thats what I called it. Every door was wide open. I saw 3 ladies getting C-sections, and the room across from me was the transplant room, which buckets of stuff were removed every second from a different Nurse/doctor. so weird.. and not something I was wanting to see before my surgery.
The surgery went well. The doctor removed the gallbladder, and cleaned out all the "gunk" in the tubes. I guess what he told Jeff was that I had a back up of just bile and stones that basically would get stuck trying to work properly. So he removed all of that.
I woke up in sooo much pain. Usually someone that isnt pregnant gets muscle relaxers, pain medication through I.V. and anti-nausea medication.
Since I'm pregnant I was only given the anti-nausea medication at a limited dose, and NO PAIN MEDICATION!!
I was bawling my eyes out, and the poor nurse felt so bad and just held me while I cried.. I have no clue who she was, but that really helped. I ended up being extremly nauseous. I couldnt even keep any water down, and I still had fetal testing to do, so the nurse had to wheel me down to the womens center after my surgery all while I was extremly sick. Poor people had to watch me throw up constantly and every bump and light overhead made it even worse!
I was finally able to get some pain medication but not through my I.V. So once I stopped throwing up ( which was a good 3 hours after surgery) I was given a pain pill to help. ( whoopity do!)
I was finally discharged to go home around 10pm that night. They didnt feel the need to keep me over night because all my tests came back fine. The baby was fine, my blood pressure was fine, and they all agree'd that I'd be more comfortable at home.
I wont go into details of the night, it was horrible. But lets just say that I'm doing okay so far. I'm able to relax a bit and try to take some time to rest. Jeff has been home, helping me with every move I have to make, and any rest room break, walking, or adjusting I need.
Since I didnt just get my gallbladder out, and they cleaned out the tubes and had to make an extra incision its probably increasing my pain a bit more than usual. Or so thats what the doctors have told me.
I have some pictures.. I look HORRIBLE! but oh well.. nobody should look good if they have surgery.. haha.
Filling out paperwork
Jeff waiting... I dont ask what he was doing... About 4 hours after surgery. This was how lovely I looked.. My face and body was completely swollen, I needed oxygen as well.. Notice the sprite they were trying to get me to drink.. ugh.. yeah.. not going to happen!
My battle wounds... I have one more bandage right in between my chest basically.. I'm covering my belly button so you can see where the incisions were made.
If I had a choice I would have suggested the surgery when I wasnt pregnant, but it was basically more risky to keep my gallbladder since it was affecting my liver.
I wish I could have been more comfortable with pain medication, and help through out the hospital hours. It sure makes it challenging, but I'm glad things turned out good, and hopefully I'll be feeling better and wont have to see the hospital again until this little lady decides to show herself. :)
Thanks for everyone who has called and checked up on me, and offered any help they can. I truly appreciate it, and I know I say it often, but I truly love my friends and family. and I couldnt do it without all of you!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

oh sweet heart I am sorry! This baby must be a real special one! I'm sorry that you have been in so much pain. I know what it is like to be laying on the table getting the c section with the door wide open! not pleasant and even worse laying there alone not knowing whats going on or if the baby Really is ok. Anyways I'm glad its good now. can I watch your little girl some day this week? Or come help you anyway? even just make dinner, What do you need?

9:51 PM  
Blogger C. Houghton said...

I'm glad that everything went well. I know that we were stressing out & Jeff was probably like "stop texting Audrey's phone, I don't know any more than you do" haha.
We were worried for you & that little girl BUT soooo soooo glad that everything went well.
How has everything been so far now with a few days that have passed by??

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I didn't know at all. If you need anything let me know! You know where I work!!!

9:14 PM  
Blogger Kim and Chet said...

I'm glad everything went okay. Sorry it was so painful for you though! Hope you recover quickly! :)

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home