Thursday, October 23, 2008

... Change of plans....
So its midnight on Friday morning, and the reason why I'm up is to inform everyone of what has been happening over this past week.
To give a brief story I'll start from the beginning... On Monday night I was having horrible pains. Stomach cramping, extreme pains in my upper back, and I just knew something wasnt right. Jeff drove me to the hospital and they did the usual Urine tests, NO BLOOD WORK WAS DONE, and the nurse said my pains were probably just " normal pregnancy pains" Didnt say anything else and they sent me home.. That night was the worst!
I pretty much had to prop myself with two giant pillows on each side of me, I was basically chugging any type of antacid there was, and trying to find relief from that, and get some amount of sleep... Not working!
So I called the doctor in the morning and spoke to someone who was on call since my doctor was not there. ( why is it that when you have a medical problem, YOUR doctor is always gone for the day.. ugh!)
So the doctor looked at my chart from the emergency visit I had the previous night and said my blood pressure was extremly high! Nice to know since the nurse thought everything was "normal!" So the on call doctor basically said they were worried about toxemia.
So to make this part a shorter verson of my 7 hour visit that night, they did a bunch of lab work, took my blood, did all the other tests, ended up finding out that I have a bunch of Gallbladder stones...
My blood work/ultrasound proved that a stone was on its way trying to pass down the tubes towards my liver, which can cause life threatening problems.
After leaving the hospital, we scheduled an appointment with a surgeon the following day ( today) at which point told me that we have basically no time, and he would fit me into his schedule to remove my gallbladder tomorrow.. ( well today since its midnight)
So... I'm going into surgery at 2:30pm tomorrow afternoon, at which point they will have fetal monitoring on the baby, and my OB will be there as well as many Neonatal nurses to stop any pre-term labor that starts (hopefully it wont at all!)
The biggest risk is the uterus, and keeping that in tact while they try to remove the gallbladder with the uterus pushing all the organs so far up by my ribs. Also, with a stone already trying to pass down the tubes, they will have many tests done to make sure they remove any stones that are starting to move farther down, as well as make sure non are stuck or forming.
Please pray that things will go okay for me and this little girl inside me. Although if she was born there is a great amount of technology to help her grow and live without being inside me, but she would only be about 3 pounds if that.
I'm sure everything will be okay, but its still a pretty serious thing.
I will keep everyone posted and let everyone know how things go once I get home. Usually its a same day surgery/outpatient type thing, but with a pregnancy they will probably keep me for 24 hours observation.
Thanks for reading this whole novel. I now have to resist eating/drinking anything until 2:30 pm tomorrow!! UGH!!! :)
Thank you for everyone who has offered to take Caitlynn, and everyone who has helped me throughout this week ( with all our many emergency visits etc)
Our family is for sure loved, and we appreciate it fully!
Love you all!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Evie B. said...

Hang in there - it'll all go well. You guys will be in our prayers tomorrow.

And as far as pictures go, I'd love to take some of your family. I need the practice and if you're willing to be patient with me I can shoot away! Just let me know what you're thinking and we can plan something. And then of course pictures of all the cute new babies!

12:10 AM  
Blogger C. Houghton said...

You have been in our thoughts ALL day today even before the surgery. Hope everything is going ok.

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home